Dear Brothers and Sisters,
In these challenging times in which we are living, let me begin with an ancient but currently needed greeting, words from the Apostle Paul:
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
I wanted to make you aware of changes in our operations and needs prompted by the Coronavirus, COVID-19:
- Effective immediately, we have suspended all gatherings in our Chapel and Mercy Center, including Sunday morning worship. We will notify you when, according to public health professionals, it is advisable for us to resume them.
- We will continue to post videos of our Sunday morning worship service on Facebook and YouTube. We will also post a prayer video each Wednesday at noon. You can access those videos by typing South Main Chapel & Mercy Center into the search bar of either website.
- The Mercy Center will continue to operate, but on a more limited basis. Our building will remain locked, and only persons with a need to meet one-on-one with our service partners or staff will be admitted.
- We will offer carryout meals or snack packs Sunday through Thursday: 11:30 am – 12:00 pm distributed from the front right door of our building. We have suspended our Monday evening meal. We will be meeting with other organizations in our community who provide meals and food to coordinate efforts. We will be in touch with our Compassion Partner churches and other organizations to advise how they can help in this crisis.
- While we currently have a sufficient supply of snack pack items, we anticipate going through them quickly and, therefore, request ongoing donations of bottled waters, nonperishable food items that can be eaten without needing to be cooked, and one-gallon zip lock bags.
- Like all churches and non-profit organizations, our operational costs continue. Therefore we ask that if you are a consistent contributor to our ministry, you keep those gifts coming, or if you are an occasional giver or first-time giver, you consider making a financial gift to us today. You may do so in a couple of ways: 1) mail in a check to South Main Chapel & Mercy Center, PO Box 13545, Anderson, SC 29624, or 2) you can contribute through the donate button on this post using a debit or credit card.
As I said in the sermon on Sunday past (which can be seen on Facebook or YouTube), we have to keep both our close-up vision and our distant vision in focus. Right now, it is vitally important that we all do the things being asked of us by our health care professionals. But taking a longer view, we need not panic and give in to irrational fear. God will get us through this, God always has, and God always will. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
Remember who we are: We are all God’s children. Loving God and loving each other is our purpose.